Monday, February 9, 2015

SINIGANG NA ALIMANGO SA BAYABAS


When I was young, Sunday lunch was always special. We lived in my Grandmother’s house then and Sundays means all are present. My 3 Uncles have no work, my Mom and Dad and my sisters, we are all at home. My Tito Boy usually is the self-appointed cook every Sunday and I am the self-appointed Coke runner (Coca-Cola that is). I usually will grab a rattan basket and buy 2 bottles of Coke Litro at either Ka Linda’s Store or Ka Inggo’s.

A break from the usual “halabos” na alimango was the Sinigang na Alimango sa Bayabas. I always like slurping the sweet tangy soup of this dish and pouring it on a heaping serving of rice. Taking off the shell always creates anticipation as to how much “alige” there is. We always eat with our hands to easily take off the meat from the shell of the crab even if it’s difficult to scoop the rice due to the soup. Of course the meal would not be complete without “patis” to dip your fingers at before taking a handful of wet rice and putting it in your mouth and swallowing it. As always, you finish the meal with a glass of ice-cold Coke.

As I was in the market one Sunday morning, I saw a lady selling it and suddenly, I know what to cook for lunch. Here is my take on the dish with a little help from my Mom as I called her to recall how it is done.

Ingredients:

1 kilo Alimango (Mud Crabs)
½ kilo ripe guava
2 medium size onions
1 liter water for the soup
¼ cup patis
2 teaspoon rock salt
¼ cup sugar





Procedure:

1.       Boil water.
2.       Slice guava and put in water. Boil until cooked.
3.       Remove from water using a strainer. Mash on a bowl and strain the juice back on the soup.
4.       Add patis, rock salt and sugar. Reduce or add quantity according to taste. (It should be sweet-salty-fruity taste).
5.       Put in onions.
6.        Bring to a boil.
7.       Add the Alimango (if the crabs are too big, cut them in half if you like).
8.       Boil until it’s done. ( the crabs are done when they turned orange)
9.       Serve with rice and patis. Ice cold Coke is a must!
10.   Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment