Sunday, October 16, 2011

Cubao X Night Experience

The nachos was smothered with yogurt and splashed with paprika. I know its paprika because it says so in the menu. I’m almost finished with my first bottle (well, technically my fifth) I looked at the menu again and decided I’d like to try the “Desert Exile Beef Stew” –‘inspired by tours in the sandbox. Only for the brave: chunks of beef lovingly simmered in a stew of Arabic spices and olives ’ as it was described in the menu. I waited for a while and then it came. I ordered another beer. The beef came with 3 pieces of toasted bread. I separated the  bay leaf which I do not like too much. I scooped a mouthful not expecting anything. I shoved the spoon in my mouth. After a few shoving and munching, I felt a sliver of heat in my mouth directly radiating to my stomach.  The fucking stew is hot! As in caramba HOT! I’m used to hot dishes but I’m avoiding it nowadays because of doctor’s advice. But in fairness, it’s good!

1905 Fred’s Revolucion located in the Cubao Expo is where I’m at. The avant-garde feel pulls me to while the time as I wait for Rheeza. Brown foldable tables lined the outside with blue vinyl clad chairs. Inside are white tables and the bar. It is decorated with various pictures Che Guevarra, a Magdalo Flag - the Oakwood version, a picture of Chairman Mao and other  stuff  that justifies the bar’s name.



While I’m putting the heat down, two ladies entered the bar opposite where I was. They were tall and frail as Marilyn Manson. One of the girls stands out in her very high red heels. They make chika with their friends who were already there. Then came two guys, one was wearing a Mohawk and silver jeans and the other one in skin head and sleeveless shirt. Talk about characters! Becoming immune with the beef stew. With occasional sting, I felt I could manage from there on.

The bar across were I was looks like a house turned into a bar. From the outside I can see the inside because of the large glass panel. The place is spacious, with sofa sets. Unlike other bars that have uniformed dining sets, they have different ones. Kind of like whatever is available, they use it which added character to the bar. In a corner are some plastic chairs and an ice cooler serving as a table. Reminds me of my “tambay days “. Outside are wooden foldable tables and black monoblock chairs. Some are wooden and steel chairs. Near the glass panels are sofa reminiscence of 70’s/80’s furniture. A group is actually using an old terrace cart complete with handle and glass table top. A slot is where they put their San Mig light and Tanduay Ice securely. Feels like you’re drinking at home or your barkada’s place, making do on whatever set up is available. I again dug in the stew. My burnt mouth and stomach don’t seem to be bothered anymore. The plate is almost half done. The more I chow, the more I like it. Some more and I’ll be looking for Zantac  and Proctosedyl Ointment in the morning!

Few people are standing on the opposite bar holding and chugging their Red Horse. Plastic black monoblock chairs was given to save the drinkers from varicose veins. Another set of characters came. The girl on the terrace table stopped drinking beer and is now sipping Coke light from a straw she ordered. The Mohawk boy signaled the waiter to come over. The eagerness of the waiter makes me think that Mohawk boy is a regular along with the Marilyn Manson girls. Even though Mohawk boy looks astig by the character he projects, he seems gay!

I borrowed a lighter from the girl beside my table. She was smiling when I handed it back to her. A while ago she was apologetic because the cigarette butt she threw ended on my table. I assured her that it’s ok with a smile.

Going to pay the tab. I had enough. I had a drinking bout earlier with my photography friends. The place is packed but the bar area has some vacant seats. I asked the waiter for the bill and a glass of water to wash the heat as I finish the stew. It still packs heat as I realized that I was deceived by the phrase “lovingly simmered”. It turns out that “hellishly simmered” is more appropriate. The water came and the bill. A total of P228. P40 for the Nachos, P108 for the ‘Devil’s’ Stew and P80 for the 2 bottles of St. Michaels lite brew. Not bad! Judging from the nachos and stew, I’m sure their other entrees are good as well. I enjoyed the experience and can’t wait to be back with Rheeza.

Now… where do I pee?  

P.S.
Photos of Fred's grabbed from their Facebook page.
I had my camera with me, but I'm too shy/wasted to bring it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment